Spook-tacular pumpkin fun!
My heart goes out to pumpkins, it really does. They’re like the geese of the gardening world – fattened up all year round until Halloween hits and then they’re sold off to the highest bidder, who takes their prize home and disembowels it without a second thought, sticks a burning candle in its tummy and then chucks it in the bin two days later. Sad times for pumpkins.
So, I’m launching a counter-offensive and offering you up an alternative to the cruel sport of pumpkin carving: Pumpkin crafting. Swap your carving knife for some cardboard and a bit of sellotape – your pumpkin will certainly thank you for it – and check out my endeavour!
How to: Make a rather batty pumpkin
– Draw a bat wing template on your black card, cut out and draw again.
– Tape your wooden sticks onto the backs of your wings and then stick into the pumpkin at a suitable angle. Still a little mean, but not quite like having chunks of your body hacked out!
- Last-minute pumpkin carving and decorating inspiration (artfulparent.typepad.com)
- 63 Mindblowing Halloween Pumpkin Carvings (Picture Gallery) (dailypicksandflicks.com)
- App review: Carve-a-Pumpkin for iPad and iPhone (news.consumerreports.org)