I won’t pretend to understand the current obsession with upper lip accoutrements – all I know is that I love moustaches as much as the next cad and I would love it if I could grow my own fine and dandy handlebar variety. Sadly, I lack a little testosterone. Happily, I have wool and knitting needles at my disposal! Here’s a how-to to help you make your own dapper ‘tache. Suits you, sir!
How to: Knit yourself a moustache
– Wool in two complementary shades
– Pick one of the patterns below
– Cast on 17 stitches
– Using stocking stitch, knit 4 rows in your background colour then get going
– Finish off with 4 more rows in the background colour, cast off, then sew the ends together.
Pattern (provided by the kind-hearted folk over at Manchester’s Whitworth Gallery, as part of the Close Knit festival).
- The Art of Knitting: Manchester’s Close Knit festival (blackcatoriginals.wordpress.com)
- Why readers love their moustaches (bbc.co.uk)
- Moustache Necklace (cutoutandkeep.net)
- Are Mustaches the New Chevron? (alicecorrine.com)